Wednesday 3 July 2013

Making Conversation

In the inclusion centre, for kids who can't cope so well with mainstream, or who can cope but not for 5 lessons a day. I am teaching a sewing class, which I volunteered to do in my gained time now the year 13s (upper 6th) have left, to 3 girls, Big Hair (13), Scottie (14) and Beehive (15). The atmosphere is a lot more relaxed than in the rest of the school! All 3 girls have had multiple exclusions from multiple schools.

Beehive: 'So, how old are you, Miss?'
Me: 'I'm sorry, love, but I can't really tell you that, you know?'
Beehive: 'Oh, OK, year, fair dos'
Me: 'Thanks'
Big Hair: 'But you're, like, young, right?'
Scottie: 'Yeah, she's definitely young'
Beehive: 'Can we have an estimate, Miss? Like, around about?'
Me: 'Um...'
Beehive: 'Like, you're in your 20s, right?'
Me: (safe territory) 'Right, I'm in my 20s'
Beehive: 'Cool, thanks Miss.'
Big Hair: 'You're really mature for 20, Miss. Aren't 20-year olds always, like, clubbing and drinking?'
Beehive: 'She's in her 20s, idiot, not 20!'
Big Hair: 'OH! I thought she looked old for 20!'

No comments:

Post a Comment